Hapkido Online

Friday, June 6, 2014

So.... I started building this plane..



Folks I've railed against the injustice of modern recreational aviation and how it's all so expensive, etc, etc.  I am tired of being a spectator to flight, it's time to be a participant.

So I've taken the plunge and happily accepted a free set of drawings from TEAM Minimax.  I've decided to build the Hi-Max 1700 variant which ideally uses one of a number of  Rotax power plants.

I started building last fall and thus far have about 33 hours of work on this project.  My routine is that I go down to the barn in the wee hours before work and put in at least an hour a day cutting and gluing.

Given my budget (or lack thereof) and available time to work (or lack thereof) I am not overly concerned with project completion.  I suspect it will happen one day but I try not to dwell on it.  Instead I've learned to embrace the simple joy of building the plane.

Mornings filled with tunes on the radio, a hot cup of coffee, and the smell of fresh sawn spruce have the cumulative effect of putting a smile on my face for the rest of the day.  It's good medicine for a man who dreams of flight.  For while I am not yet flying, I am involved in getting there and that counts for something. 

Thus far I've built enough standard ribs for one wing.  Which seems like a lot but the time just flys by really. 

A few ribs are special on the High Max for they have to carry the aileron bearing brackets and also act as "end ribs" for the wing.  I'll be focusing on these for the next little while.These special ribs require a wider range of skills and tools because they include some metal work.  I'll keep you posted.

I feel my decision to go with TEAM has been a very good one.  While I've built models over the years and helped my Dad work on real planes some growing up, in a very real sense I am a novice.  I wanted to work with folks who are willing to answer questions on the fly.  David at TEAM has been very supportive and has made things easier.

Also the max has an avid builder/owner forum the East Tennessee Lonesome Buzzards and just about any question I could dream up has already been asked on there.

I'll drop in here from time to time and upload some photo's to let you all know how it goes.